Be the Best-Dressed Guest in These Show-Stopping Styles
With a backdrop of colorful leaves and crisp air, autumn is a beautiful time to say “I do.” As fall gets underway, you might find yourself swimming in Save the Dates—and in need of a serious closet overhaul to look your best at each and every event! Luckily, some of this season’s hottest trends are perfect picks for fall wedding attire (and they’ll stand out on your Instagram feed, too). Whether you’re attending a glitzy black tie affair or simple backyard nuptials, try out these looks to earn yourself a place on the Best Dressed Guests list.
1. All-Over Lace: Offering up tons of texture with a feminine edge, lace is a time-tested choice for stylish wedding guests. We especially love floor-length dresses in delicate lace for more formal affairs. To avoid a look that’s too bridal—definitely a wedding faux pas!—stick with sleek silhouettes in saturated colors.
Tips for Wearing Lace: Keep your accessories simple. A metallic clutch, matching shoes, and understated earrings are great accent pieces—avoid too much glitz and glitter since the intricate lace is the centerpiece of your look!
2. Slinky Satin: For a formal look with a major dose of Old Hollywood glamour, slip into a satin gown when you’re headed to a black tie wedding. Satin is all about movement, so search for fluid silhouettes that will look great when you’re on the dance floor, like a voluminous skirt or striking open back. The shimmering texture of the fabric also makes colors pop, so don’t shy away from unique shades, like pale silver or golden yellow.
Tips for Wearing Satin: Now is the time for those dazzling accessories! Capitalize on the red carpet vibes of satin with gemstone-studded jewelry and a pair of sparkly shoes to peek out from the hem of your dress.
3. Plush Velvet: As fall temperatures drop, cozy velvet is the perfect way to look your best while staying warm during outdoor ceremonies and late-night sparkler sendoffs. A knee length velvet dress in classic black is a foolproof staple when an event calls for cocktail attire. We also love velvet in luxurious colors—think deep forest green or sophisticated navy—that accent the texture of the fabric.
Tips for Wearing Velvet: Pair a velvet dress with faux fur accessories—like a classic stole, unique clutch, or statement jacket—for a cool weather look that’s rich in texture.
4. Edgy Jumpsuits: For more casual weddings (cocktail attire or semi-formal), ditch the dress in favor of a statement-making jumpsuit that sets you apart from the crowd. The key to a great jumpsuit is the fit—look for a well-tailored top that flatters your natural waist and legs that don’t pool over your shoes. To keep your look sleek and contemporary, seek out pieces with unique details, like a cutaway leg or dramatic open back.
Tips for Wearing Jumpsuits: Select a jumpsuit with slim-fitting legs, and then break out your favorite heels. Jumpsuits are the perfect companions for shoes with serious style, and higher heels work with the silhouette of a jumpsuit to elongate your shape.
5. Dramatic Open Backs: Open-backed styles can be difficult to wear day-to-day, but they’re the perfect centerpieces for a fashion-forward wedding look. We especially love strappy backs that draw the eye with intricate detailing. If you’re apprehensive about trying out this trend for the first time, balance an open back with a high neck silhouette that keeps you covered up.
Tips for Wearing Open Backs: Avoid accessories that compete with an open back, like crossbody bags or necklaces that overlap with the neckline. Stick to sparkly bracelets, cocktail rings, or fun shoes to add extra punch to your outfit.
6. Statement Metallics: For a festive look that can carry you from fall weddings into the holiday season, step up your sparkle game with a metallic look. Metallic dresses are perfect for evening weddings and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Keep things understated in a black dress with just a hint of shimmer, or be the life of the party in on-trend separates with a silver sheen.
Tips for Wearing Metallics: Like lace, metallic fabric should be the star of your outfit. Keep your accessories understated by choosing pieces with a matte finish, like suede shoes or brushed silver jewelry.
Have you RSVP’d yes to any weddings this fall? Comment below to let us know which looks you’ll be trying out!